UPnP vs. Fedora 14 firewall

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Mon May 2 16:57:18 UTC 2011

Mike Wohlgemuth wrote:
> As a starting point, I am attempting to discover services via SSDP.  If
> I have the firewall enabled, and I run upnp-inspector, I see no
> services.  No matter what combination of settings I have tried, I never
> see any services via upnp-inspector.  If I disable the firewall and
> immediately rediscover services in upnp-inspector, I will instantly see
> my printers, my media server, etc.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if
> the services didn't work without extra ports open, but I cannot even see
> them to attempt to use them.

It looks like upnp-inspector not only listens[1] on UDP port 1900, but
on two other randomized ports as well. One solution would be to have
upnp-inspector use the new firewalld API in Fedora 15 to open up ports
automatically. Another solution would be to allow high TCP/UDP ports
(say, >30000).

[1] # netstat -anp | grep -i python