giving up on google-chrome

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 18:00:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been happily using google-chrome on F14 for some time, from
> baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64
>
> I've used this together with
> flash-plugin-10.2.159.1-release.i386
>
> using nspluginwrapper.
>
> I used to use google-chrome-unstable, but then one day, it started misbehaving.
> When quit, chrome would not restart.  Or, it would, but no pages would load.  I
> found that when quit, several processes were left running.
>
> The only way to restart was to killall chrome (2 times!), then rm -rf
> ~/.config/google-chrome.  Fortunately, chrome sync would reinstall all my
> plugins and pretty much restore everything.
>
> Now the problem is, that the current google-chrome-stable is doing the same
> thing.
>
> I have reason to believe it is actually using flash that is causing this
> problem.
>
> Anyway, no more chrome for me (these experiments get a bit old after a while).
> Unless, someone knows a workaround? (besides, no flash)

Not sure. I've been running google-chrome-beta for a while now without
any major issues. I'm not sure firefox will be much better. My kids
play flash games online and frequently flash crashes but npviewer.bin
or whatever stays active and sucking CPU cycles until I manually kill
it.

I'm using 64bit flash and chrome with nspluginwrapper (64bit to 6464
wrapping) if it makes a difference.

Richard