Ubuntu Smooth Fonts on Fedora

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:15:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2011 12:37:28 -0400
> Tom H wrote:
>
>> I was thinking more of the hinting and anti-aliasing settings rather
>> than of the actual fonts.
>
> In the ubuntu case, I'm pretty certain the actual
> fonts are considerably different. I think I've even
> seen some references to the default ubuntu fonts
> being developed under contract to and copyright by
> cannonical.
>
> They may well have different settings by default as
> well. I have tried lots of different live CDs on
> lots of different computers with different displays,
> and I have to say the defaults that come up on
> ubuntu live CDs are vastly more readable than any
> other distro I've tried.
>
> (An opinion that doesn't carry over to the Unity
> interface - GNOME 3 looks like a work of genius
> compared to Unity :-).

As a long-time OS X user, I both like and dislike the Unity and GNOME
3 interfaces but my reasons for disliking them have driven me to
Fedora's and Ubuntu's KDE spins. (Your evaluation of Unity's harsh!)

I must have misunderstood the OP. I didn't think that the issue was
one of fonts (but it may very well be since everyone else has
understood it this way) but of the settings that I mentioned. It's the
latter (AFAIU) that make Ubuntu's Live CDs more readable.