F14: after kernel update, can't boot (from software RAID)

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Thu May 12 08:51:34 UTC 2011

Around about 11/05/11 23:29, Adrian Sevcenco typed ...
> did you, by any chance, patched your mkinitrd to support md_dX?
> (partitionable raid1)?

   Nope, it all “just worked” before.  [edit: no it didn't see below]

   I will own up to having done something slightly non-standard recently:  I
have a completely new box, as of a couple of months ago, and that's the one
RAIDed.  I cloned my old box's root drive (and other partitions) onto this
new box, set up grub appropriately to boot, and went from there.  What I had
installed (Fedora 14) for the old box was happy enough to work on the new
box with RAID enabled.

   I don't remember whether I've done a kernel update since then (i.e.,
whether I've generated a working initramfs from within this box).  From the
timings of it, I think I must have done, but I couldn't swear to it.

   OK, just checked, and no:  the working kernel was installed prior to the
switch over. and in actual fact, the current working initramfs is *not* the
same as the one I had before, so it must *not* have 'just worked' (that's my
memory for you).

   I suspect I copied the working initramfs from a virgin install I tried on
the new box in order to get it to work.

   Hmm.  I'll have to unpack the original initramfs (I kept a copy) and the
current one to determine the differences.

   Where does mkinitrd get the info. it needs to put the right stuff into
the initramfs?

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature