F14: after kernel update, can't boot (from software RAID) [SOLVED]

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Wed May 18 09:32:45 UTC 2011

Around about 11/05/11 10:25, Neil Bird typed ...
>     I did a belated update of my Fedora 14 box last night, which included a
> new kernel (2.6.35.13-91.fc14.i686.PAE, previous was
> 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686.PAE).  However, upon trying to boot, it slept for a
> little bit, then said something like:
> Fatal: no boot partition found, sleeping forever

   OK, the fault was that I was missing an /etc/mdadm.conf.

   What *doesn't* work is to unpack the initramfs and plop one in (I tried
copying over the mdadm.conf I found in my working initramfs to the failing
new one, but that didn't help).  You *have* to have the /etc/mdadm.conf in
your root drive when you come to generate the initramfs.

   The reason I think I'd managed to get a working initramfs before was that
I had a test virgin install on another partition from when I first set the
new PC up (before I copied across the root from my old PC), and I'd filched
the initramfs from that virgin install when the copy didn't work.

   The virgin install had the requisite /etc/mdadm.conf, which I've now
copied to my proper root partition, regenerated my initramfs, and
everything's working OK.

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature