Fedora14 is filling up my HDD without a reason

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Thu May 12 11:46:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan:
>>> You already did that using "yum clean all". Note that "yum clean
>>> packages" would probably have freed almost as much space without
>>> removing yum metadata, which is why I suggested it earlier.
>
> Joel Rees:
>> Good point.
>>
>> I personally like to avoid stale metadata, so I tend not to think
>> beyond the "all" option, but the metadata will be necessary as soon as
>> Aradnix needs to do even a yum info, so it's space that's not really
>> freed even if it's freed.
>
> Not to mention that, barring faults, it's taken care of automatically.
> If you don't need to renew the data, it's not renewed.  And it will be
> refreshed when it needs it.  So, other than when fixing an actual
> problem with your caching of data, it's a waste of time and bandwidth
> (yours, and every mirror's) to manually fiddle with it.

Yesterday's metadata: 15M
Yesterday's downloads: 90M

17% additional bandwidth burden.

Today, no downloads, so it would be nothing but overhead.

I'm not sure, since the mirrors I usually connect to are on gigabit
pipes (and my pipe is limited at 1Mbit), that 15 Megabytes (in about a
minute and a half) three or four times a week constiutes an
unreasonable burden on the infrastructure.

I have had my cache clogged on occasion, preventing security updates
from downloading, which is why I tend to use the clean all option.

Joel Rees