Comparison of Desktop Environments in F15?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sun May 15 15:32:50 UTC 2011

On 5/15/11 8:24 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Sunday 15 May 2011 15:02:35 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 09:48 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
>>> Gnome3 and KDE4, you've probably seen the threads on how they've been
>>> "dumbed down" (or, more accurately, re-focused towards people who
>>> aren't planning on doing all sorts of technical things with them).
>> I wasn't aware of any substantial changes to KDE in going from F14 to
>> F15.
>>
>> Gnome is another matter.

>> In a nutshell, the situation is the same as it always was --- Gnome for folks
>> who want simplicity, KDE for folks who want flexibility. Both in terms of
>> configuring the desktop, user experience, etc.

And isn't flexibility what Linux is all about?  People get their
knickers in a twist when things change.  I've been saying this since
GNOME 3 was announced:  The developers are trying to capture some of
those wanting to leave Windows but want a 'belt and suspenders' approach
to running it.  In other words, we have ID10T Windows users who want to
leave it behind, sometimes for the perceived safety of Linux.  Well,
give them what they want and let those of us who know how to break and
fix Linux to a more fun and functional interface.

James McKenzie