Protected WLAN

Misha Shnurapet shnurapet at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 20 02:43:23 UTC 2011

20.05.2011, 03:10, "Lamar Owen" <lowen at pari.edu>:
> On Tuesday, May 17, 2011 02:35:09 PM Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>
>>  SSID hiding is *not* secure. It is *not* a deterrent. Security through
>>  obscurity is *not* security.
>
> SSID hiding isn't about security.  It's about being able to show that someone who hacked into your network intended to do so, it didn't just pop up on their screen as an open access point that they accidentally used..... 'goes to intent' that is.

Once I was out with my notebook when I came up with an urgent need for the Internets. I saw several access points on the list. But they are all protected and I wanted online so bad it made me want to crack them down. If these were hidden in first place I may never have gotten the idea to learn the skill.

So I personally prefer not to broadcast.

--
Best regards,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Shnurapet