Protected WLAN

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu May 19 19:56:12 UTC 2011

On Thursday, May 19, 2011 02:45:38 PM Genes MailLists wrote:
>  Still a bad idea - some things may, for anything that violates the
> 802.11 standards - such as non-broadcast of SSID,  choose not to connect
> to your router. That means some of your client devices may no longer
> work ...

That's fine.  There's only two devices I need to use my AP, and both deal just fine with 'hidden' AP's.  There are other things that violate the 'standards' too that many do anyway....  Some folks' use cases will find this 'breakage' to be a feature.

>  This is especially true if there are multiple wifi access points on
> same SSID (standard practice for roaming in your big office/house case).
> Hiding the SSID will break roaming completely.

Not a problem here.  Rural area.

>  So, turning off SSID broadcast is really not a good suggestion.

It depends on what you want to do.  Hammers are great for driving nails, but that doesn't mean that's the only thing they're good for.  I've repurposed a lot of networking equipment for doing things for which it was never intended..... :-)