Analog video capture

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat May 21 14:57:12 UTC 2011

On 05/20/11 23:11, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 05/20/2011 11:12 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
>> JD<jd1008 at gmail.com>  writes:
>>> What do you think of this hauppague gizmo?
>>>
>>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4146200
>> I have the HD-PVR and use it on Fedora 14 with VLC (high-def TV in a
>> window!  Watching AMCHD at the moment :).  Capturing streaming video to
>> disk is as simple as this:
>>
>> $ cat /dev/video0>  ~/Video/capture.m4ts
> When capturing HD, all it needs to do is move the MPEG-4 TS from the
> coax to the disk.  HD is that simple to record (its much more complex to
> *play* it!).  Analog is a different beast.  It needs to be converted to
> digital in order to store it directly to the hard drive.  Without a
> hardware endcoder on the card (or in the box), it consumes CPU cycles.
> Does the HD-PVR have an analog MPEG encoder?  I know the PVR cards do.
> I don't know about this box.

What I am not sure of is this:
What is the physical connection from the HD-PVR
box to the computer?
If you do not have a graphics card that accepts video
input, (such as a laptop), is this box useful in this situation?
Perhaps the PVR has a usb output also? If so, how would I
use that to capture video from the PVR?