Fedora 15 installer needs more than 512MB RAM

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu May 26 00:21:04 UTC 2011

On 05/26/2011 05:00 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Rahul,
>
> First of all I want to thank the whole team for their efforts.  I surely
> appreciate not only the quality of work, but also the quality of the
> product.  However, I had to laugh a little when I read your note.  I
> have some units that are running various versions of Fedora with as
> little as 256 megs.  I guess I am part of that small percentage, but
> thanks much for a great product!!!

No problem.   Not sure what you were laughing about but if you are
running Fedora with 256 MB RAM,  you are in a minority of Fedora
users.   I would say, the average Fedora user has anywhere between 1 GB
and 4 GB of RAM and with every release,  the amount of people using
systems with even more RAM keep growing.   The installer used to do a
number of hacks to keep the memory usage low that affected consistency
and sometimes created hard to debug issues which ultimately negatively
impacted users.    Some of the recent changes use more RAM but makes the
installer much more streamlined and  makes the environment more
consistent with that of the installed system.  It is a trade off.

Rahul