booting F14 on 2nd drive on a Windows 7 PC

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 01:29:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, 26 May 2011 10:25:24 +0930
Tim wrote:

> I probably could do that on Linux, too.  But I don't want to transcode
> the movie, which seems to be how every Linux solution I've seen works.

Ah, its simple on linux - you just need to fully understand and
memorize all the interacting meanings of the 3,274 factorial
possible combinations of command line options on mencoder :-).

On the multi-boot topic: I've just gotten fedora 15 installed
on a partition of my new Dell Zino HD that came with 64bit
Windows 7. I used the EasyBCD program to edit the Windows boot
manager config to be in charge of the multi-booting because
I didn't want to possibly clobber any of the mysterious Dell
magic voo-doo that may or may not be part of the MBR (reports
are conflicting :-). Fedora is totally confined to the separate
ext4 partition I created (along with a swap partition).

I also used gparted from a live Ubuntu USB stick to resize the
single giant NTFS partition Dell provided. It worked much better
than the Windows 7 native disk manager which wouldn't let me
try to shrink the partition to any smaller size than 500 Gig.
I made it a much more sensible 120 Gig with gparted, and no
horrible consequences cropped up when I booted back to Windows.

I have a feeling I won't be switching between the systems very
much, I'm just not sure which will turn out to be the primary
(probably Windows, since I can play Blu-Ray discs on it, and
this is primarily a home theatre PC).