Fedora 15 installer needs more than 512MB RAM

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu May 26 02:04:36 UTC 2011

On 05/26/2011 07:30 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> So I repeat my question: After partitioning is done, wouldn´t it be
> easier to copy a "base bootable image" to a volume?. Wasn´t that the
> big change in Windows installer from XP to 7?, the fact that the
> installer is much faster because it just copies/uncompresses a
> bootable image of the pre-installed OS, then does tweakings/settings
> on top of it?

You probably need to redirect your question to a more appropriate one
like Anaconda-devel list.  I have no idea how Windows installers work.
There is a difference between how live images work and the non-live
installation in Fedora.  In the case of live images,  you are
essentially copying a full image to the disk and writing a boot loader.
It is extremely fast.  Maybe takes 3 minutes to do the entire
installation.  The regular installer installs RPM packages.    In the
latter, you are trading off speed for a lot more flexibility  (choose
packages,  filesystem  etc).    Whether it is feasible at all to copy a
base image and add on top of it is not known to me.

Rahul