Why on the Earth GNOME Shell hiding Shutdown & Restart options

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Thu May 26 02:17:29 UTC 2011

Could anybody explain it, why GNOME folks decided to hide the Shutdown
and especially Restart buttons/options from a user so well? Is it
especially dangerous to use them nowadays? Or GNOME folks assume people
do not shutdown/restart their computers anymore?

This "feature" could drive crazy any user new to GNOME 3.0. I tried it
from the LiveCD first and get caught like a mouse in a trap.  Good for me
I had Internet connection and found on google, ALT button changes Suspend
to Shutdown. At least I had this option.

But again, since I was running it from the LiveCD I needed Restart
instead.  You see, Fedora boot loader was picking up and locking DVD
drive after restarting system so fast, it was "mission impossible" to
open a tray and to remove the CD. Since I could not figure out how to
restart the system, I had to shut it down, then reached BIOS, disabled CD
boot and only then I was able to remove that damn CD from a tray.

"Revolution" indeed.