Why on the Earth GNOME Shell hiding Shutdown & Restart options

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu May 26 02:25:30 UTC 2011

On 05/26/2011 07:47 AM, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> Could anybody explain it, why GNOME folks decided to hide the Shutdown
> and especially Restart buttons/options from a user so well? Is it
> especially dangerous to use them nowadays? Or GNOME folks assume people
> do not shutdown/restart their computers anymore?

I haven't found a clear explanation but it seems to be designed around
encouraging people to suspend.    In any case, if you don't like this
behaviour,  I maintain a bunch of GNOME Shell Extensions in the Fedora
repo (yum search gnome-shell-extensions -C) and one of them can help

#  yum install gnome-shell-extensions-alternative-status-menu

Alt+F2,  press r and enter to restart the shell.  You should have a
permanent power off item in the menu.

Rahul