F14->F15 after preupgrade boot hang

Dj YB syehielb at t2.technion.ac.il
Sat May 28 15:55:53 UTC 2011

On Friday May 27 2011 12:42:27 Ian Malone wrote:
> On 27 May 2011 10:32, Dj YB <syehielb at t2.technion.ac.il> wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> How far does it get? Do you get to the blue starting screen (the one
> >> with the Fedora logo-shaped progress meter)? Are you able to check the
> >> kernel options in grub and see whether rhgb is there or not (maybe an
> >> issue with nvidia drivers)? Were you using the standard kernel drivers
> >> for your display under F14 (nv/nouveau) or had you installed the
> >> nvidia ones? Also, how long is forever (my laptop had a problem which
> >> caused boot to hang for 5 minutes)?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > it see grub
> >
> > title Upgrade to Fedora 15 (Lovelock)
> >        kernel /upgrade/vmlinuz preupgrade
> > repo=hd::/var/cache/yum/preupgrade
> > ks=hd:UUID=bee474b4-0ac7-46b9-bf27-9e81994e324c:/upgrade/ks.cfg
> >        initrd /upgrade/initrd.img
> >
> > I choose this upgrade and all i get is the blinking cursor in the upper
> > left corner of the screen
> > the longest I waited was about half an hour, in this time there seems to
> > be no activity in the disk.
> > pc is responding to keyboard Alt+Ctrl+Del and restart.
>
> Best to send this reply to the list as I have no idea what's going on,
> just trying to get some information that might help others figure it
> out.

following an advice to wait for the upgrade to begin I waited for about an
hour and then it started and finished properly.
next step to boot into the new F15 however I waited about 5 hours and gave up.
I think there should be some indication as to what is happening, a blinking
cursor really is not reassuring from a user point of view.

any advice as to how to proceed from here, except for longer waiting, which I
am going to try tonight, are welcome.

Thanks,
YB.