Why no icons? Was, Re: How to switch back to metacity

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun May 29 11:30:22 UTC 2011

Peter Boy writes:

> Am Samstag, den 28.05.2011, 17:27 -0400 schrieb Bill Davidsen:
> > Learning new things is good, having to learn a new way to do the old
> > things, not so much.
>
> That is exactly my problem as well. Unfortunately I couldn't spent the
> time over the last months to make my own experiences using the betas but
> just followed closely the discussion here and was concerned. Yesterday I
> downloaded the live image and made my experiences. Now I'm simply
> horrified. I use Fedora for my daily work and just can't spend the time
> to reorganize all my working habits and routines.
>
> So my question, perhaps slightly OT for this thread: Did you find a way
> to handle the situation?
>
> Is there some kind of "Fedora survival guide for unteachable Gnome2
> users" around?

One option is "yum groupinstall xfce". Or, kde. KDE, though, is huge.

If you need applets, and xfce's has replacement applets that work for you,
this would be the best option. Instead of gnome-terminal, which loses its
mind with xfce, xfce's Terminal is a virtual clone.

This morning's file-roller update, apparently, fixed it so it comes up
automatically upon login if you set it via tweaks to manage the desktop.
That's a much smoother experience. If it were the default when updating from
gnome 2, it would somewhat lessen the culture shock. And enable the
minimize/maximize window buttons, by default, via tweaks too. Really,
there's absolutely no good reason to turn them off, except for religious
ones. The real estate is wasted anyway, nothing gets lost by turning them
back on.

With gnome-shell-extensions-alternative-status-menu, gnome-shell-extensions-
places-menu, and gnome-tweak-tool, with maximize/minimize and automatic file-
roller enabled in tweaks, I'd estimate that brings me to about 75% parity
with gnome 2. What's missing are the applets, a comparable selection of
applets, a customizable startup sound, customizable compiz desktop effects,
and input interface customizations. Also, I can't find the settings to
configure input focus to follow the pointer, and window autoraise on focus
gain. It's working for me, so I either inherited them from gnome2, the
underlying code is still there but the UI is gone; or this is the default
for gnome3. If so, forcing this on everyone is no better than not having it
at all.