Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING!

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon May 30 22:02:37 UTC 2011

On 05/31/2011 03:03 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> I think you are doing the same thing that you are accusing the other
> person of doing IMO.  You can just point out what is wrong.

The OP specifically told people "DON'T EVEN TRY!!!" to upgrade from F14
to F15.  No details, no suggestion as to what could have gone wrong in
one isolated instance.  A flat out statement in capital shouting out
from the highest hill proclamation that disaster is looming for any fool
attempting to such folly.  That, IMO, is spreading FUD.

FUD is not normally spread with evil intentions.  FUD is often spread by
people who seemingly know what they are doing.

There is currently a food additive crisis going on in Taiwan.  Some
unscrupulous manufacturers have been selling "clouding agents"
containing toxic plasticizers DEHP and DINP to processed food
companies.  While there certainly is a problem, some media outlets have
taken to reporting on this with breathless abandon.  There are a certain
number of people who take this and then overreact.  I personally know
one person who now refuses to buy any processed food from any source.
Also, the mother of one of my friends had gone even further and throw
out all processed food in their home.  They succumbed to bad
reporting...an extreme case of FUD.

The other day I was considering installing the nVidia drivers from
rpmfusion.  I had a question and you helpfully supplied a method where I
would be able to learn the answer for myself.  I thanked you for that.

I then when ahead with the install.  Apparently I hit an end case (or
whatever you want to call it) situation with yum the rpmfusion repo.  I
ended up with a system that would not boot into level 5.

I could have hit the panic button.  I could have raced off to this list
and warned everyone of the consequences of attempting what I just did.
I could have told people "DON'T EVEN TRY TO INSTALL NVIDIA FROM RPMFUSION".

I figured out what went wrong, asked a few questions, and learned about
the limitations (flaws?) in the yum update/install process.  And, yes,
it is true that I now wouldn't trust the process around my nuclear
reactor.  :-) :-)

People, who later seemingly know what they are doing, should know better
and be responsible for their reporting.  In this case, the OP later
seems to know what he is doing, making the first FUD based posting even
more believable by individuals susceptible to FUD.

FUD is FUD no matter how well intended.