Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING! [OT]

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Tue May 31 16:19:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:15:57AM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> >> Your understanding is, on the whole, correct.  However, you can always
> >> use akmod-nvidia instead.  If there's not a kmod for the current kernel,
> >> akmod builds it on the fly at boot.  It's not a panacea by any means,
> >> but for most of us, it's much better than having to remember to
> >> re-install the binary blob every time there's a kernel update.

> >The real question is, is the nvidia blob still necessary?  In F15, the
> >nouveau driver has 3D acceleration enabled by default.  Performance
> >might not be all the way to the nvidia drivers, but GNOME Shell runs in
> >standard mode with the default nouveau driver.  That should at least
> >tide you over until the nvidia packages catch up.

> I don't use nvidia's blob, but nouveau's stability is still not
> consistent. Maybe about 10% of the time X locks up when I open
> gthumb. If I ssh in and kill X, Gnome will whine and go into
> fallback mode. I must reboot to regain hardware acceleration.
> It's not a big deal to me, especially as compared to the rest of the
> issues with gnome 3, but I can see how some might prefer to stick
> with nvidia.

It might not be a big deal but the lock ups, though not very
frequent, sometimes occur at very inopportune moments.
Also irritating is the snails pace at which graphical actions
happen.

But I am not complaining since the situation, in my case at least,
is even more irritating with regard to nvidia.
I have tried with both  kmod-nvidia and akmod-nvidia and done everything
according to the book but I really wonder if the installation scripts
from rpmfusion are 100% adapted to fed 15. The installation just
can't get rid of the nouveau modules so you just boot up to the
'desktop' but mouse and keyboard can't activate anything.

I even tried some contortions with respect to initram, etc. but
to no avail.

A couple of years ago I had no problems with rpmfusion kmod-nvidia's

Alexander