Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING! [OT]

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue May 31 14:15:57 UTC 2011

Matthew Saltzman writes:

> On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 22:04 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > On 05/30/2011 09:17 PM, Mark Eggers wrote:
> > > I would be happy to be shown incorrect.
> >
> > Your understanding is, on the whole, correct.  However, you can always
> > use akmod-nvidia instead.  If there's not a kmod for the current kernel,
> > akmod builds it on the fly at boot.  It's not a panacea by any means,
> > but for most of us, it's much better than having to remember to
> > re-install the binary blob every time there's a kernel update.
> >

> The real question is, is the nvidia blob still necessary?  In F15, the
> nouveau driver has 3D acceleration enabled by default.  Performance
> might not be all the way to the nvidia drivers, but GNOME Shell runs in
> standard mode with the default nouveau driver.  That should at least
> tide you over until the nvidia packages catch up.

I don't use nvidia's blob, but nouveau's stability is still not consistent.
Maybe about 10% of the time X locks up when I open gthumb. If I ssh in and
kill X, Gnome will whine and go into fallback mode. I must reboot to regain
hardware acceleration.

It's not a big deal to me, especially as compared to the rest of the issues
with gnome 3, but I can see how some might prefer to stick with nvidia.