windows migrant: choosing linux distribution

Gary Baribault gary at baribault.net
Wed Nov 2 19:36:17 UTC 2011

Hi, All three of the distributions you mentioned are major .. Ubuntu is
more of a graphical Linux which will keep you safe, but will also
restrict your learning experience in the sense that getting to a Root
(administrator) command line is not encouraged. Fedore and SuSE are the
other two major distributions, I personally used to use SuSE and have
moved back to Fedora which has improved a lot lately (last 3 years). To
me they are equivalent, but SuSE belongs to Novell, which was sold
recently to AtachMate. SuSE also works closer with Microsoft, which for
a Windows guy would seem better but for a Linux guy, makes us somewhat
nervous!

RPM/DEB both work well, and shouldn't influence your choice.

Gary Baribault
Courriel: gary at baribault.net
GPG Key: 0x685430d1
Signature: 9E4D 1B7C CB9F 9239 11D9 71C3 6C35 C6B7 6854 30D1