Thanks to Fedora community; Installation & Disk Partitioning ISSUE

Linux Tyro fedora.bkn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 07:33:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:45 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth <
tchollingsworth at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I am really thankful to all of you, Marko Vojinovic, Tim and all the
members for such great suggestions.

However, it was a coincidence that I have some Ubuntu LTS CD and just
installed it. Everything was okay and I have only some small issues. Well I
aslo had an CD of openSUSE 11.4, which I was installing (trying to). I had
some issues in it. I am writing these issues here, please elucidate it.

[FEDORA CORE IS GETTING DOWNLOADING as you suggested, I am going to give
live CDs a chance] But before I could successfully Install Fedora (after
downloading), I just clear my some doubts I had with the installation of
openSUSE which are as follows:

Thanks and Regards.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I installed Unbuntu LTS (had its CD). But I have planned to go with .rpm
side (whatever be the reasons, Fedora is under downloading process). Well,
right now I am having one CD of openSUSE 11.4 too. I just want to see how
openSUSE looks, before again installing Fedora. A couple of things,
confusing me a lot here are as follows. I am going step by step what I did
and what exactly I found in this operation of installing openSUSE 11.4.

Inserted the CD in the CD-ROM (yes it was the first boot option).
Everything was going on smooth but after some time I came to the windows
where I have to do something regarding 'partitioning'. The CD, by default
showed with the following output. It said me as followed:
 __________________________________

-Delete partition /dev/sda5 (111.25 GB)
-Create root volume /dev/sda6 (20.00 GB) with ext4
-Create volume /dev/sda6 (91.25 GB) for /home with ext4
-Use /dev/sda5 as swap
 -Set mount point of /dev/sda1 to /widows/c
 __________________________________

I continued with this (the above) default scheme which it took and didn't
click to 'edit the partition'. Finally arrived at the page where the
summary of what the distro is going to do in finally (for installation). At
this page/step was written in red, the following message:
 __________________________________

"The boot loader is installed on a partition that doesn't lie entirely
below 128 GB. The system might not boot is BIOS support only lba24 (result
is error 18 during install grub MBR)."
 __________________________________

What does it ('the installation process') want to say?

Further, I was confused with what partitions to delete with. So I am giving
here that table also (which came at the same step on which above error
came). But before I give, I just want to tell that my requirement was to
install openSUSE only in the space in which current Ubuntu is residing and
making Windows XP remain intact (only my sis uses it).

Now the partition table (which came BY DEFAULT, at the step at which the
above error (in red) came) was as follows:
 __________________________________

/dev/sda     232.89 GB

/dev/sda1   116.88 GB           HPFS/NTFS        NTFS      /windows/c

/dev/sda1   116.01 GB           Extended

/dev/sad5   4.75     GB           Linux swap        Swap     Swap

/dev/sda6   20.00   GB    F     Linux native      Ext4       /

/dev/sda7   91.25   GB    F     Linux native      Ext4       /home
 __________________________________

In this partition table,

First line: Well, /dev/sda is the whole of hard disk and its capacity is
232.89 GB. Its well understood. But when I bought, the vendor told me the
capacity of 250 GB, so remaining (250-232.89) GB=17.11 GB are where, I
don't know.

Second line: /dev/sda1 is the Windows partition, and I guess it is taking
number '1' since it is the default boot option...? It has been formated by
NTFS file system as shown clearly.

Third line: /dev/sda1 extended? Is it windows only? If yes, why its size is
116.01 GB? and not 116.88 GB (which is in the line just above it). What
does it mean?

Fourth line: /dev/sda5 Okay Linux swap, understood and it is separate
partition. I don't know where /dev/sda2, /dev/sda3, /dev/sda4 have gone??
>From '1' it has jumped to -->> '5'...!

Fifth line: /dev/sda6 is the root, since at the last symbol '/' is coming
and again its a separate partition. But why it is calling Linux native? And
why there is coming a 'F' written just after 20.00 GB, what is it
representing?

Sixth line: /dev/sda7 ok its /home (written at the last), but it is also
'Linux native' and again that 'F'.

On the same stage (on which the partition table and the error in red was
being displayed), I had one more thing interesting, it is as follows. It
was under the heading 'Change Location':-
 __________________________________

-Boot from MBR is disabled (enable)
-Boot from "/" partition is disabled (enable)
 __________________________________

I don't know WHY to enable any one of the above options or to enable both
or to not touch............? And what does they mean (the above options).

After I got this all, I just ABORTED the installation thinking it could
lead to system crash. I logged in to the Ubuntu and opened the terminal and
typed-in the command ('sudo fdisk -l') and got the output:
 __________________________________

myfamily at myfamily-desktop:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xfedcfedc

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks             Id      System
 /dev/sda1   *           1          15258   122553318+   7       HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2           15258       30402   121644033     5       Extended
/dev/sda5           15258       29781   116658176    83      Linux
 /dev/sda6           29781       30402     4984832     82       Linux swap
/ Solaris
 __________________________________

Now when I have to install openSUSE (before I actually install Fedora), I
just want to install it over the space of Ubuntu. I should, therefore, in
what way install it? I just want to have a separate '/home' and a separate
'/' (root). From the just above command ('sudo fdisk -l'), I don't guess my
paritions are separate for '/home' and '/' (root)......??

If any one can elaborate in detail all this above mentioned points, I would
be really be thankful to. IF anything better could be done, please
elucidate regarding the partitioning given above.

--
THX