windows migrant: choosing linux distribution

Linux Tyro fedora.bkn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 07:41:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

I would say they are just different, not better or worse, though if
> you like a GUI package management tool, nothing beats "synaptic"
> on the ubuntu/debian family (I tend to prefer the command line
> tools since I use ssh to get to most systems and don't want
> to fool with remote X display, so for me it doesn't matter
> much if I use yum versus apt-get or rpm versus dpkg - it is
> just a question of sorting out all the command line options).

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:10 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 <
n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com> wrote:

I like the openness, as well as the reliability, (it is much less likely
> to crash than windows).

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Emilio Lopez <emiliollbb at gmail.com> wrote:

I think Fedora is a good distro to start. As Joe Wulf said, is a good
> idea to install it in VirtualBox first, so you can play with linux &
> windows at the same time, and make the transition easier.

The OP can also try out the live media for the three distros. I