windows migrant: choosing linux distribution

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 14:33:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 19:10:17 +0530
Linux Tyro wrote:

> But in future, I would learn the basics of
> administration too, so please guide me which is a better administration -
> rpm or deb?

I would say they are just different, not better or worse, though if
you like a GUI package management tool, nothing beats "synaptic"
on the ubuntu/debian family (I tend to prefer the command line
tools since I use ssh to get to most systems and don't want
to fool with remote X display, so for me it doesn't matter
much if I use yum versus apt-get or rpm versus dpkg - it is
just a question of sorting out all the command line options).