Thanks to Fedora community; Installation & Disk Partitioning ISSUE

Linux Tyro fedora.bkn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 12:24:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 6:17 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> With suspend and hibernate, the computer stores everything that it's
> currently doing (documents your reading/editing, pages you're browsing,
> etc), so that when you wake the computer up, you resume from where you
> left off.
>
> Hibernate stores it to hard drive, and the next bootup will read this
> and resume, automatically.
>
> Suspend does it to RAM.  So your computer needs (minimal) power
> continuously available to it, to keep what it's stuffed into memory.  If
> the memory is lost, then the next boot will be a cold boot.

But without intentionally deleting memory, how could it be lost except for
the case that power has gone and I am not using UPS....Cold boot simply
means that it doesn't need credentials to log-on?

> When it works, resuming from a suspend can be quicker.  Hence why the
> riskier option exists.
>
> Both are security hazards, though.  If you have an encrypted system, to
> protect you against what a thief could do with your data, being able to
> resume makes it easier for them to crack in.  Because resume will only
> ask you for a log on password, the cold boot decrypt password query was
> answered, by you, when you originally booted up.

But still how thief can log-in when I have encrypted password, password
necessary to boot in, disabled booting via CD-rom, disabled booting via
usb. Still chances are there that the thief can crack in ?

Some sort of hardware token, such as a key that must be inserted while
> booting, but is kept separate from the computer, is the simplest way to
> avoid that problem.

This I didn't understand how to achieve, but thanks for the above
explanation. Now, I know the difference between Hibernation and Suspension.
Would prefer it now.

--
THX