How to run preupgrade?

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 16:41:48 UTC 2011

    suvayu> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 15:31, Colin Paul Adams <colin at colina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >> The bug says a new preupgrade will be released shortly. I think I
    >> should wait for that, although I don't know how to find out when
    >> it is available (I added myself to the CC list, so that should do
    >> the trick, i hope).
    >>
    >> Presumably if I yum erase preupgrade, and then install and run it
    >> again when the new preupgrade is on the mirrors, it should just
    >> work.

    suvayu> I think you misunderstood the bug. Your machine has already
    suvayu> been upgraded to F16. It just boots the wrong kernel. To
    suvayu> verify this, you can check with the following:

    suvayu> $ cat /etc/redhat-release Fedora release 16 (Verne)

I don't get that, I get:

Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)

and I still have a gnome2 desktop (perhaps upgrade is supposed to leave
that alone though?).

    suvayu> $ rpm -qa kernel*

    suvayu> should list the last 2 F14 kernels and the latest F16 kernel
    suvayu> (assuming your installonly limit is set to the default value
    suvayu> of 3).

It lists 3 fc 14 kernels and an fc 14 kernel-headers

    suvayu> But when you do:

    suvayu> $ uname -r

    suvayu> You should see the F14 kernel.

I do the third-oldest of the three.

    suvayu> The fix for you is simply fix your grub.conf by hand and
    suvayu> possibly regenerate your initramfs like this:

    suvayu> # dracut -f /boot/initramfs-<F16-kernel-ver>.img
    suvayu> <F16-kernel-ver>

    suvayu> I am not sure about this last part, it might be
    suvayu> unnecessary. I can't recall what I had to do and why (I was
    suvayu> fooling around with the boot splash, and this was when F16
    suvayu> was in beta a month back).

I don't want to try any hacks to fix an upgrade process that doesn't
appear to have run. I have two more machines to upgrade as well.

Anyway, it sounds like this is a different problem to the one you had, perhaps.

--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire