How to run preupgrade?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Nov 9 20:12:25 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 11:41:48 AM Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>     suvayu> I think you misunderstood the bug. Your machine has already
>     suvayu> been upgraded to F16. It just boots the wrong kernel. To
>     suvayu> verify this, you can check with the following:
>
>     suvayu> $ cat /etc/redhat-release Fedora release 16 (Verne)
>
> I don't get that, I get:
>
> Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)

This is what I would expect, since the first boot after preupgrade is run on the older system is to anaconda in upgrade mode; that never ran, you've only downloaded all the pieces necessary to do the upgrade (pieces meaning the installer image with anaconda, the new boot, and all the rpm's necessary for your upgrade).  That first reboot into anaconda does the upgrade itself.  Do not trust the progress bar in an upgrade, incidentally.

> I don't want to try any hacks to fix an upgrade process that doesn't
> appear to have run. I have two more machines to upgrade as well.

It appears that the grub entry to boot into the installer (anaconda) in upgrade mode isn't there, and thus it won't boot to it and thus won't upgrade.  It's primed to boot to it, it just hasn't yet.