Grub2 boot order

Pavel Lisy pali at tmapy.cz
Thu Nov 10 18:44:40 UTC 2011

Timothy Murphy píše v Čt 10. 11. 2011 v 14:02 +0100:

> There does not appear to be an option in grub2
> to boot eg from entry 2 rather then the first entry.
> (I know of course one can go down the entries with the mouse;
> I'm talking about an option to make entry 2 the default.)

See this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Grub2

there is excelent explanation to your (and my too) question

--- quote ---
Setting default entry
Due to grub2-mkconfig (and os-prober) we cannot predict the order of the
entries in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, so we set the default by name/title
instead. To do this, we set two things: First, we set

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

in /etc/default/grub. Second, we call

grub2-set-default <title or number>

with the title of the newly installed Fedora's entry. From that point on
you can change the default by calling

grub2-set-default <title or number>

or view it by running

grub2-editenv list