Need to change uid and gid

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 12 03:16:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 18:08 -0600, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 04:22 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > In the process of upgrading from Fedora-15 to Fedora-16, my uid and gid
> > have both been changed from 500 to 1000.  I maintain a "mirror" of my
> > system as backup using rsync, so in order for the mirroring to continue
> > properly the uid and gid in the mirror filesystem have to be changed to
> > match the main one.
> >
> > Where is a convenient script to do this?  There must be one, since this
> > is essentially what was done in the upgrade from Fedora-15 to Fedora-15.
>
> Interesting. How did you upgrade? I used preupgrade and my id stayed at 500.

I installed from a DVD.  In the past the DVD has always offered me the
chance to upgrade, which didn't happen this time.  This didn't bother
me, since upgrades have never worked properly, so I installed fresh.  My
uid's and gid's were changed automatically as part of the installation
process.  Maybe I should have used preupgrade, but I was suspicious
since, as I wrote, upgrades have generally worked right.

jon