Trends - how to save Fedora ?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Nov 13 16:21:27 UTC 2011

On 11/13/2011 03:45 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 07:15:20 +0000,
>    JB<jb.1234abcd at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> every Fedora release is going downhill ...

> If you are referring to quality, I disagree that they are going downhill.

Well, having spent most of this weekend with installing F16, I don't
sense any change in quality. Some issues have been resolved, others been
ignored, new ones have been added. As with all previous releases, some
of the "novelties" Fedora is infamous for are not working smoothly.

Finally, yes, I have to agree, in comparison to F15 (which I consider
the worst Fedora ever) I sense some "quality" improvements.

> If you are referring to mindshare amoung people that use linux, that
> seems likely to be true. Ubuntu and Mint seem to be pretty popular now.

Right, to the public, Fedora has become a "freak's niche".

>> Time for Fedora to decouple from RH and become quality UNIX-like distro on
>> its own ?
>
> I don't see how that could help. Fedora needs more contributors, not less.
That's one possible conclusion.

However, if you follow the OP's rationale, one logical conclusion would
be "Fedora needs less RH".

Another conclusion would be: Fedora should contain less experimental SW.

Ralf