Trends - how to save Fedora ?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Nov 13 17:05:39 UTC 2011

On 11/13/2011 08:35 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> It depends on where you're standing. If you follow the well-trodden
> path, of always doing a fresh install, not upgrading, and always taking
> the default filesystem layout, and only importing /home from the
> previous version, you'll be fine.

I've used preupgrade on both my desktop and laptop for the last several
upgrades and all has gone well.  Yes, I did have to expand /boot once
and once I had to tell grub to start the upgrade at boot, but compared
to the type of thing you're talking about, that's trivial.  And, I'd be
willing to bet money (and give fairly good odds) that the vast majority
of Fedora users who use preupgrade have the same experience.  Why?
Because if it weren't true, preupgrade would only be available (if at
all) from some third-party repository and not recommended for the faint
of heart.