Trends - how to save Fedora ?

Peter Larsen plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com
Mon Nov 14 19:57:43 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 15:58 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> yes, this should be only a option and never made as default
>
> LVM is for most peopole not useful especially on a notebook
> where you have nothing to extend with a second disk and
> remember that you have lost the game if you extend a LVM o
> over several disks and of them dies without RAID

Rubbish. I've use LVM on notebooks for years now and used it with
success. LVM is more than a "partition emulator". It gives you cloning,
snapshots and much more at your finger tips, to make creating VMs and
backups a lot easier.

I've seen so many misconceptions being communicated about LVM here and
other mailing lists. Usually done in ways that directly contradicts
basic features of LVM. Some features that you may not be aware of:
Striping and mirroring can be done through LVM alone.

Another misconception is performance is degregated. No - LVM is not
"another" layer. It's replacing the layer you have. There's no new layer
with the device mapper - it doesn't first map LVM then your partition.
Performance numbers being publishes have proven that you're not having a
penalty. And if the benchmark for usability ARE laptops - what IO
performance are you talking about that can be measured?

http://lists-archives.org/linux-kernel/27323152-ext4-is-faster-with-lvm-than-without-and-other-filesystem-benchmarks.html

All in all - I'm not opposed to having LVM as an option. But it should
be discouraged. There's no real penalty of using LVM but there's a lot
by NOT using it. From better backups, to being able to test changes
without risking loosing it all. I would argue that anaconda by default
shouldn't allocate the whole VG but leave some room for snapshots.
Otherwise you don't give people the chance of actually using some of the
very cool LVM features that help even us laptop users.

--
Best Regards
  Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
Problem solving under Linux has never been the circus that it is under
AIX.
	-- Pete Ehlke in comp.unix.aix