Can't start portgresql after F15 -> F16 upgrade

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Thu Nov 17 18:52:32 UTC 2011

On 11/17/2011 01:42 PM, Digimer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   After upgrading from Fedora 15 to Fedora 16, something broke with
> postgresql.
>
>   First, I can't tab-complete 'systemctl status postgres.service', but
> that's relatively minor.
>
>   The real concern is that I can't start the service at all;
>
> lework:tools# systemctl start postgresql.service
> Job failed. See system logs and 'systemctl status' for details.
>
> lework:tools# systemctl status postgresql.service
> postgresql.service - PostgreSQL database server
> 	  Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/postgresql.service; disabled)
> 	  Active: failed since Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:36:54 -0500; 3s ago
> 	 Process: 4757 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pg_ctl start -D ${PGDATA} -s -o -p
> ${PGPORT} -w -t 300 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
> 	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/postgresql.service
>
>   I tried uninstalling reinstalling all of the postgresql RPMs, but got
> the same results.

I had to move my /var/lib/pgsql/data out of the way and re-initialize.

Two comments;

1. This should have generated a more useful error, like "data is from an
old version and is not compatible."

2. Once the data directory was moved, I had to manually (re)initialize
the database. There should be a mechanism for 'start' to realize the
server needs to be initialized and do so.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"omg my singularity battery is dead again.
stupid hawking radiation." - epitron