Having a large desktop. (Font, icon and application sizes)

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 05:00:56 UTC 2011

On Monday 21 November 2011 20:43:07 linux guy wrote:
> No replies to this ?   Am I asking the question wrong ?  All I want is
> everything on the desktop to be larger.

Decrease monitor resolution?

The xrandr will tell you what resolutions are supported by your monitor. You
can make a custom xorg.conf specifying the preffered resolution, and/or use
xrandr to change the resolution on-the-fly.

Decreasing the resolution means that literally *everything* on the screen will
become larger. Otherwise, you should specify what exactly you want to be
larger, and what should keep its original size. That approach would probably
require manually tweaking the sizes of various stuff --- fonts, icons, panels,
widgets, etc. Each of those can be configured either inside its own settings
menu, or using the plasma control handles, or in systemsettings.

HTH, :-)
Marko