Having a large desktop. (Font, icon and application sizes)

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Nov 22 06:57:19 UTC 2011

On 11/22/2011 01:00 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Monday 21 November 2011 20:43:07 linux guy wrote:
>> No replies to this ?   Am I asking the question wrong ?  All I want is
>> everything on the desktop to be larger.
> Decrease monitor resolution?
>
> The xrandr will tell you what resolutions are supported by your monitor. You
> can make a custom xorg.conf specifying the preffered resolution, and/or use
> xrandr to change the resolution on-the-fly.
>
> Decreasing the resolution means that literally *everything* on the screen will
> become larger. Otherwise, you should specify what exactly you want to be
> larger, and what should keep its original size. That approach would probably
> require manually tweaking the sizes of various stuff --- fonts, icons, panels,
> widgets, etc. Each of those can be configured either inside its own settings
> menu, or using the plasma control handles, or in systemsettings.

In my limited experience, decreasing monitor resolution isn't a very
pleasing solution with LCD panels.  I'll admit, all of my LCD panels are
over 2 years old....but when I drive them at anything lower than their
"native" resolution the results were decidedly sub-optimal.

$.02

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow