Printer problem Samsung CLX-3170

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 14:34:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Jim <binarynut at comcast.net> wrote:

>> I can't tell from the messages output you posted if your machine is
>> x86_64 or not but I had a very very similar issue with a Samsung
>> scx4500w when I installed f16.
>>
>> It turned out that the copy of the file "rastertosamsungspl" was a 32
>> bit version and I had installed a 64 bit system - worth checking ?
>>
>> Also I notice that the name of your file is "rastertosamsungsplc"
>> whereas it should be "rastertosamsungspl" i.e. you have an additional
>> letter "c" at the end of the filename - if your file is really ending
>> in a "c" then check whether you have the correct 32 or 64 bit file -
>> if not then make sure that where you defined the file in the printer
>> setup is correct - if not then redefine it with the correct filename.
> I have a 32 bit box,
> How do I determine wether the rastertosamungsplc is 32 or  64 bit?
> In usr/lib/cups/filter/ there is a rastertosamsungsplc and a
> rastertosamsungspl .
> This is the same driver that I used Fedora 14 and 15 .

OK - the answer as to which of 32 or 64 bit is where you got the file
from?  Presumably it is from the unified driver set from Samsung - in
which case that will have difference directories for the 32bit and 64
bit file sets - one thing you can do is go back there and check the
total file size - the 32 and 64 bit raster files are different sizes -
which does yours match?

Secondly you did not answer the question about using the correct name
for the file when you defined the printer in Fedora - unless you
changed the name of the actual file then the fail message indicated
that you had the wrong filename - if course if you define it and point
to a non-existent file then it is bound to fail!  Check that again and
see if that is the source of the problem.

--
mike c