Can't install nvidia drivers on Laptop

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Wed Nov 23 14:36:05 UTC 2011

11/23/2011 01:02 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 11/22/2011 07:59 PM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
>> ...Actually, I know Larewnce. He's using the kmod-nvidia and
>> akmod-nvidia drivers from the RPM Fusion repository. He's also running
>> F16 x86_64 and used the standard methods published to install the
>> drivers.
> Oh, good.  As I said, I was guessing, largely because most people who
> haven't run across the fedoraforum aren't aware of the kmod/akmod method.

FWIW, the kmod and akmod method is not always the end all/be all for installing the nVidia drivers (I say this primarily when using
the rawhide kernels).  There aren't kmods to use against the debug versions of the kernels and the akmod's won't compile against the
debug versions of the kernel source (it appears due to the nVidia license saying "NVIDIA" instead of "GPL").  I think the rpmfusion
nVidia driver packages are great most of the time, but there are shortcomings sometimes.

Kevin