OT: gather hardware information over network

Hiisi hiisi at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 23 15:19:20 UTC 2011

Hi list!
This maybe is a little off-topic on this list hence the 'OT' in the
subject line. Sorry for that.
I need to gather hardware information from computers on a local
network and store it on a server. The server runs F16, clients run
different ubuntu versions (11.04 mostly). The information should
include such things as monitor serial numbers and other details for
definite identification. The main purpose is inventarisation of all
the hardware we have in the office. There's about 40 workstations.
Google suggests use combination of OCS Inventory NG with GLPI [1]. The
other idea is to write a set of bash scripts and put them on cron on
workstations (the information should be updated weekly) and main
script on the server would store information in the database. However
if there's ready solution I would be happy to use it.
Any tips?