Fedora - time to blink

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 23:57:38 UTC 2011

On Monday 28 November 2011 09:43:05 Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 11:41 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Developers have already made up their minds and released their new
> > innovations, and "not" what the research is asking for.  You want to
> > look at new small screens like tablets, phones and other small stuff
> > and replace the traditional desktop with that.
>
> I just don't get why there's that push in that direction.  The Fedora
> releases are geared to real computers.  It's not an iPhone install ISO
> that we download, it's a >486 personal computer install ISO.

Fedora is just serving the users with what is produced by upstream Gnome. And
there appears to be no Gnome desktop that is alternative to Gnome3 (and please
don't mention Unity...).

IMHO, the real question is why doesn't Fedora reevaluate its position on the
choice of the default DE for the distribution. Gnome3 should be available, for
people that want it. But why by default?

I don't want to advertize KDE too much, but there are also XFCE and LXDE which
are gaining popularity as drop-in replacements for the old Gnome2. Why
wouldn't XFCE be the default DE for the distro for a while? Or the default DE
choice could "rotate" for each release --- XFCE for F17, LXDE for F18, KDE for
F19, Gnome3 for F20, and over again, in turns. That way each DE would have
equal amount of "visibility" among users, more bugs would get fixed, etc.

Best, :-)
Marko