F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Oct 11 12:27:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 12:11 +0200, suvayu ali wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> > I suppose if you go 'off the reservation' (use un-official repos) then
> > Ubuntu and Fedora are certainly capable of failing especially if you
> > disable them prior to upgrading (not sure why you would disable them).
> >

> Just wanted a clarification on that statement. I thought the safer way
> was to disable all the community repositories before using something
> like yum upgrade or preupgrade. That way any hidden packaging bug in
> community packages don't come in the way of the distro upgrade. After
> the upgrade is finished, all one has to do is enable the repos again
> and do a simple yum update, followed by a distro-sync with all repos
> enabled. Could you clarify why you think upgrading with them enabled
> is better?
----
pretty much as Bruno said... If you disable the 3rd party repositories
that you have used to install some packages and then try to
update/upgrade/preupgrade, the chances are very high that you will
prevent some Fedora packages from being updated and create all sorts of
failed chained dependencies because they cannot update. But hey, it's
your box.

Craig

believed to be clean.