imac on lan, printing to f14: network host '192.168.2.8' is busy, will retry in 30 seconds

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 18 13:05:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 15:27 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> my iMac is the client trying to print to a printer on the f14 server.
>  So my iMac doesnt have network printing clients, the iMac is the
> client.
>  Are you  saying that in this case
>  my iMac needs 'firewall opened to allow network printing clients'?

Not sure...  It depends on how it works, how you're using it.  I'll use
a Fedora system as an example, expecting that the Mac may be similar:

The server with the printer emits a broadcast on the LAN saying it's a
server with this printer.  The clients on the LAN receive this
broadcast, and make that printer one that the can print to.

The server needs its firewall open to allow the CUPS server to
broadcast, and for clients to connect to it, to print.

The clients need their firewalls opened to receive the broadcast from
the server, if they're to auto-configure themselves.

On the other hand, if you're manually configuring a client, telling it
the printer server address, they may be able to make a connection to the
server, without needing their own firewall opened to accept an incoming
connection.

Though, manual configuration isn't the way CUPS is intended to be used,
and can be a problem to manage.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686