Cannot configure printer that is on a windows server

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 21:58:08 UTC 2011

On 10/21/11 01:46, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 17:46 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
>> and click browse.  After a few seconds an SMB Browser popup is
>> displayed with TALOFASYSTEMS as the share name and TALOFA01 as the
>> comment with an arrow in front of the share name.  A couple of seconds
>> later I get an authentication popup indicating I need to login to
>> TALOFA01, which is the windows system where the printer is, requiring
>> I enter a username and password.
>
> If you try to browse the shares of that machine using the File Manager
> (Network / Browse Network / Windows Network), do you have more success?
>
>>    This is the output from s-c-p
>> Caught non-fatal exception.  Traceback:
> [...]
>>      self._fw_data = pickle.loads (p.encode ('utf-8'))
>
> Oh, I need to make an update for system-config-printer to match the new
> system-config-firewall API in Fedora 14.  Somehow this got missed -- but
> it isn't relevant to your problem.
>
> Tim.
> */

If I run

smbclient -L 192.168.1.110

I get the following.  Note that it doesn't matter what I enter when it
prompts for root password.

Enter root's password:
session request to 192.168.1.110 failed (Called name not present)
Domain=[TALOFA01] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7601 Service Pack 1]
Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
<output removed>

	E$              Disk      Default share
	Epson Stylus Photo 1270 ESCP 2 Printer   Epson Stylus Photo 1270 ESC/P 2
	EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series Printer   EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series
	F$              Disk      Default share
	G$              Disk      Default share

<output removed>

	Y$              Disk      Default share
	Z$              Disk      Default share
session request to 192.168.1.110 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available

I removed some of the output, but it shows the printers I want to
access, but can't.

Paolo