Cannot configure printer that is on a windows server

Mikkel L. Ellertson mellertson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 23:01:13 UTC 2011

On 10/21/2011 04:58 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> If I run
>
> smbclient -L 192.168.1.110
>
> I get the following.  Note that it doesn't matter what I enter when it
> prompts for root password.
>
> Enter root's password:
> session request to 192.168.1.110 failed (Called name not present)
> Domain=[TALOFA01] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7601 Service Pack 1]
> Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]
>
> 	Sharename       Type      Comment
> 	---------       ----      -------
> <output removed>
>
> 	E$              Disk      Default share
> 	Epson Stylus Photo 1270 ESCP 2 Printer   Epson Stylus Photo 1270 ESC/P 2
> 	EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series Printer   EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series
> 	F$              Disk      Default share
> 	G$              Disk      Default share
>
> <output removed>
>
> 	Y$              Disk      Default share
> 	Z$              Disk      Default share
> session request to 192.168.1.110 failed (Called name not present)
> session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
> NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
>
> I removed some of the output, but it shows the printers I want to
> access, but can't.
>
> Paolo
Dumb question - what happens if you use the Windows name for the
computer, instead of its IP address? I do not know about Windows 7,
but I know XP does not like it when you use the IP address instead
of the computer's name.

smbclient -L MARY-XP works.
smbclient -L 192.168.55.33 does not, even though they are the same
machine, and I can ping 192.168.55.33. On the other hand, Samba
servers will accept either form.

Mikkel
- --