Starting system logger: [FAILED]

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Fri Sep 2 09:50:26 UTC 2011

To get more space in a file system,
I've been playing with partitions.
When I was done, it wouldn't boot into graphics mode.
The filling icon never got quite full.
Using function keys to get into a virtual console,
I noticed lots of messages.
Some indicated success and some ended with [FAILED].
The first three of the latter are
Starting system logger:
Starting irqbalance:
Starting system message bus:

Previously, /dev/sdb10 was ext4, held / and used most of its 20 GB
and /dev/sdb11 was ext4, held /var and used little ot its 20 GB.
After /dev/sdb10 was still ext4, held / and used about a quarter of its 80 GB
and /dev/sdb11 was ext3, held /var and used little of its 10 GB.

To do that, I
booted into another partition,
copied sdb11 into another directory using --preserve=all,
removed sdb11,
removed sdb10,
added sdb10, bigger starting in its old starting place,
added sdb11, making it 10 GB,
made sdb11 ext3,
labeled sdb10 and sdb11 sata400-10 and sata400-11 .
copied /var back into sdb11,
resized the filesystem on sdb10,
edited fstab to use the labels on sdb10 and sdb11 instead of UUIDs,
rebooted into sdb10, sort of.

After the first time, I rememberd that fstab still had sdb11 as ext4.
Changing it to ext3 didn't help.
fsck gives sdb10 and sdb11 clean bills of health.

How do I go about debugging this?
Going into a text virtual console gets me a login prompt that works.
demsg | less doesn't help.
Is there somewhere else I should look?

It's 4:50 A.M. in the morning.
Do you know whereyour head is?