Network printer not working, how to debug?

Gordon Charrick gordonmc at cox.net
Sat Sep 10 18:55:31 UTC 2011

I just bought a Brother laser all-in-one (MFC-7860DW) after determining
that it should work fine with Linux. It does wired/wireless and I have
it connected to my network via wireless.

A mac and a windows machine on the network see the printer and it works
fine with them.

When I use system-config-printer to try to set up the printer in Fedora
15 the following happens:

I click the Network Printer dropdown under "Select Device" and the
printer shows up with the proper IP address. Under "Connection", "IPP
network printer via DNS-SD" is selected. I choose the driver and apply
the settings. It prompts to print a test page and I click to print it.
The job for the test page is submitted and a window with the settings
shows up and the Printer State shows as "Stopped - Destination printer
does not exist!". The Device URI is
"dnssd://Brother%20MFC-7860DW._ipp._tcp.local/".

Not really sure where to go from here.

--
Gordon Charrick