LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Sep 16 18:53:31 UTC 2011

On 16/09/11 14:03, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 09/16/2011 06:19 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> If you want to adapt the DE to your needs (as opposed to adapting
>> yourself to a new DE), KDE seems to be the best possible choice.
> The first time I used XFCE after installing it, my desktop looked almost
> exactly the same way it had under Gnome 2.  My wallpaper was the same,
> my panel was where I wanted it, with most of the icons I wanted right
> where they'd always been (I'd love to get rid of the Trash icon and Show
> Desktop icon, but aside from that, it's almost exactly the same.) and so
> on.  Almost no learning curve.  That's why I recommend it.  Can KDE do
> the same?

            If I understand you can remove the trash icon, etc. via
            Settings > Desktop > Icons

            You will probably want to keep Removable Devices though.

            I have used XFCE for a long time, before that Window Maker.
            Gnome only to get back to familiar territory after a new
            install in the past. Now I can choose XFCE and that works
            for me with my configuration. My desktops are identical on
            both computers in use.

            Bob