LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Sep 17 16:15:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 15:04 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> I understand you do not like GNOME 3, talking about LXDE is great. But
> just bashing.. I don't think that is what this mailing list is for.

Well, when those responsible for the debacle thumb their nose at the
users, all that's left is for users to badmouth them.  The old adage,
"there's no such thing as bad publicity," isn't really true.

A strong movement against Gnome on the users list /may/ move Fedora away
from using it by default.  Distributions moving away from it /may/ have
an effect on its developers.

The prevailing theme has been "I actually wanted Gnome 2, either give me
it or something like it."  That must say something for what users
actually wanted.  I've only seen one or two postings saying they liked
Gnome 3 better.  I know praise isn't often seen, but I'd expect more
comments than that, if people liked Gnome 3, considering the huge change
that it is from Gnome 2.

In the past, I'd tried various other desktops, but found that Gnome 2
was just about right for me.  Others (e.g. KDE) were overblown (even KDE
before the big change).  And others were way too primitive:  I don't
want to jump through hoops to get sound.  When I insert media it should
be mounted for me, I've done the only part that I want to personally
deal with, by inserting the media; and I want the eject button to
unmount it cleanly; I don't want to be messing with mount/unmount tools.
Likewise I want easy networking, and other things to be easy.  On a GUI
system I shouldn't have to resort to the command line, at all.  A CLI
user will tell you the same thing, but in reverse (they shouldn't have
to resort to using any GUI tools).  Organised menus are a good thing,
and a permanent task bar where I can access them is too.  Having to
clear windows out of desk space so I can click on the desktop to get a
menu is not.  Even worse when it emulates the worst ever menu system
devised - the vertical, and upside down, Windows start menu.

And then there's:  Many of the applications I want to use are Gnome
applications.  So using another desktop doesn't avoid the heavy baggage
involved with running a Gnome app, or a KDE app, or any other overblown
desktop.  It really is a pain when mammoth changes are made to a system.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.