Fedora 16 killed my eth0 ?

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Wed Apr 4 05:47:39 UTC 2012

On 2012/04/03 23:19, stan wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 21:48:49 +0100
> "'Chris Hall'"<chris.hall.list at highwayman.com>  wrote:
>
>> More important.  Somebody has killed my eth0.  It's gone.  "Device
>> eth0 does not seem to be present..."  I cannot find it anywhere.
> This hasn't happened to me, my card is still named eth0 on F17 - beta.
> However, I've read on this list that for consistency, network cards are
> now named by some combination of hardware and interrupt.  e.g. emp1
> Maybe someone else will clarify, or you can do a search.

Well, perhaps someone should also think about impact of name-changing.
Quite frankly, what's in a name, so why change it?
 From my side, I have a "no longer supported" SW product that licenses
itself against the MAC address of ETH0. Yep, ETH0 and not any other name.

For the moment I am sorting this out in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, but when is some clever
person going to take that away?

I have to confess that I am not a "hard core" linux user (albeit daily
having used SUN i386, SCO then Linux since circa 1990-odd) but I am
severely disappointed at the amount of config stuff that is getting
hidden by GUI cr*p.
Why not have a branch called Winux, then leave Linux as it was intended:
ie: NOT to be a Windows OS.
(OK, it's not Linux, but all the desktop managers out there, is it not?)

My rant.

Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za