Perhaps this exists already, and if not, it should...

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Fri Apr 13 23:57:33 UTC 2012

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 14.04.2012 00:07, schrieb Michael Hennebry:
>> On Fri, 13 Apr 2012, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 17:19:23 -0400,
>>> You mean incorrectly. Like when I tried to provide links to html source
>>> using a text/plain mimetype and internet explorer disregarded this and
>>> treated the pages as html instead based on the URL ending in .html.
>>
>> Perhaps it be useful to be able to tell a browser --force text/plain
>
> and what do you think is the intention of "Content-Type: text/plain"?
> MSIE is simply to stupid to act as standards saying

I was suggesting that if either the browser or
the server does not know how to play nice,
the user might want to make a firm suggestion.
I've occasionally been annoyed by a text, not .txt,
file mime-typed application/binary or some such.

> noobs saying "but MSIE behaves correctly if the server is misconfigured"
> does not chnage this fact - a client must not make assumptions in
> cases where standards are defining correct behavior

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily