help installing f16

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Sat Apr 21 19:15:47 UTC 2012

On 04/21/2012 12:06 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 21.04.2012 21:02, schrieb Mike Wright:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I downloaded the f16 install DVD (6.5 hours) and have been trying to install it to an lvm partition that is part of
>> a Xen box.  Two days later I'm asking for help.
>>
>> Hope this doesn't sound like a rant but I'm very frustrated.  This is a description of what I've been going through
>> with a request for help at the very basic level of "Set Up your Drives".
>>
>> I can't use livecd to install because that method won't install into a virtual environment and shutting down every
>> other vm just so I can boot "bare metal" takes down my entire operation: no dns, no mail, no web, no firewall, no
>> databases.  Nulla.  Nada.  Squatalucci.  Out of business while a livecd install takes place.  I'm not the only user
>> here. That means I take down every other business, too.
>
> i stopped read here
>
> if ANYTHING in a virtual machine brings the host down then
> you have a much bigger problem as this guest - this has to
> be impossible in a working virtualization!

Thanks for your response, Reindl.

It is not a vm taking down the host.  It is I who must shutdown every vm
in order to boot onto "bare metal" without a hypervisor.  That is
required because livecd technology will not install into a virtual
machine.  The only way I know to install into a vm is to use actual
install media.